I am able to teach across a broad range of topics within Linguistics, and to students from different backgrounds. I have created and delivered lectures, seminars and tutorial, and always strive to create content that is thought-provoking and engaging.
- 2015 Gesture and Discourse, Division of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies, NTU Singapore
- 2013 Language and Gesture, Department of Linguistics, La Trobe University
- 2011, 2013 Secret Life of Language (1st year undergraduate)
- 2013 Language (1st year undergraduate)
- 2011 Exploring Linguistic Diversity (3rd year undergraduate)
- 2010 Semantics (3rd year undergraduate)
All teaching assistant work was at the School of Languages and Linguistics, University of Melbourne
I have experience participating in student research supervision at an undergraduate and graduate level. I enjoy working closely with students as they gain valuable research skills. Below are links to two interdisciplinary student projects in the School of Art, Design and Media at NTU, for which I was the linguistic content supervisor. These projects involved the application of my corpus of Lamjung Yolmo and Kagate language data in other fields.
- 2015 Bi Jingying. Yolmo: Art of basket weaving. [online]
- This small book was created by Bi Jingying as a student project at NTU. Using an original description of basket making by Dali Maya Jingying created images. A small number of books were printed and distributed in Nepal.
- 2015 Xinling Wang (Shirley) & He Meijie. Lamjung Yolmo (online dictionary and game). [online]
- This website was built in 2015 as a Final Year Project by Wang Xinling (Shirley) and He Meijie at NTU. The site builds on existing documentation materials on the variety of Yolmo spoken in Lamjung, and is designed to share the language in an engaging and accessible way:
I have turned a number of classroom activities into worksheets that are available online. These are licensed with a Creative Commons (BY-NC-SA) license and can be used with both school and university students.