- 2021 Gawne, L. & A.Cabraal. Using linguistics training in the non-academic workplace: A thematic analysis of skills. Australian Linguistic Society annual conference. La Trobe University December 7-9.
- 2021 Gawne, L. & G. McCulloch. Creating enthusiasm for linguistics through podcasting. Australian Educational Podcasting Conference, October 6-7. Online.
- 2021 Cabraal, A. & Gawne. Using Emoji instead of words for analysis. NVivo Virtual Conference, 21-22 September.
- 2021 Gawne, L. & J Daniel. A helping hand: The multimodality of emoji gestures. 6th International Conference of Asia-Pacific LSP & Professional Communication Association (LSPPC6). Online, June 3-5.
- 2021 Andreassen, H.N., A.L. Berez-Kroeker, Gawne, P. Conzett, K. De Smedt, C. Cox, L.B. Collister. Using the Tromsø Recommendations to cite data in language work. 7th International Conference on Language Documentation and Conservation. Online: March 4-7.
- 2021 Gawne, L. Archiving the MH1 Collection. PARADISEC at 100. Sydney Conservatorium of Music/Online: February 17-19.
- 2021 Gawne, L.,A. Hildebrandt & C. Ford. Natural Disasters elicit spontaneous multimodal iconicity in onomatopoeia & gesture: Earthquake narratives from Nepal and New Zealand. 7th International Conference on Language Documentation and Conservation. Online: March 4-7.
- 2020 Gawne, L. & P.M. Freestone. The Language of Scent in Real and Constructed Languages. Australian Linguistic Society annual conference. Online: November 14-15.
- 2020 Gawne, L., H.N. Andreassen, A. Berez-Kroeker, L. Collister, P. Conzett, C. Cox, K. De Smedt, B. McDonnell, & the Linguistic Data IG. Using the Tromsø Recommendations to cite linguistic data. Australian Linguistic Society annual conference. Online: November 14-15.
- 2019 Gawne, L., R. Stanley & A. Teo. Revisiting Tones in Melamchi Yolmo (Poster). 19th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences, Melbourne, Australia 2019. Melbourne, Australia, August 5-9.
- 2018a Teo, A., L. Gawne & M. Baese-Berk. Effects of Intonation on Lexical Tone Production and Perception in Syuba and Lamjung Yolmo (poster). PhonFest 2018. Bloomington, Indiana, May 29-June 2.2
- 2018b McCulloch, G. & L. Gawne. Emoji Grammar as Beat Gestures. The 1st International Workshop on Emoji Understanding and Applications in Social Media (Emoji2018). Stanford, California, June 25.
- 2018c Gawne, L. Corpora, data methods and gestural typology in Syuba. Eighth Conference of the International Society for Gesture Studies. Cape Town: July 4-8.
- 2018d Gawne, L., C. Krajcik, H.N. Andreassen, A.L. Berez-Kroeker & B.F. Kelly. Data Transparency and Citation in Gesture (poster). Eighth Conference of the International Society for Gesture Studies. Cape Town: July 4-8.
- 2018e Andreassen, H.N., A.L. Berez-Kroeker & Gawne. The Austin Principles of Data Citation in Linguistics (poster). Research Data Alliance (RDA) 11th Plenary Meeting. Berlin, Germany: March 21-23.
- 2018f Gawne, L., A.L. Berez-Kroeker, H.N. Andreassen. Data Citation in Linguistics: Looking forward to new standards. 20th International Congress of Linguistics. Capetown: July 2-6.
- 2018g Gawne, L. Showing knowledge: The relationship between evidentiality and gesture in Syuba narratives. Linguistics Society of America Annual Conference. Salt Lake City, Utah: January 4-7.
- 2017a Gawne, L., A.L. Berez-Kroeker & H.N. Andreassen. Data Citation in Linguistic Typology: Working Towards a Data Citation Standard in Linguistics (poster). Association for Linguistic Typology 12. Canberra: December 11-15.
- 2017b Gawne, L. & K. Hildebrandt. Reported speech evidentiality in corpora of earthquake narratives in Tibeto-Burman languages of Nepal. Association for Linguistic Typology 12. Canberra: December 11-15.
- 2017c The ‘nothing’ gesture in Syuba: An example of the ‘away’ gesture family of conventional co-speech gestures in a Tibeto-Burman language of Nepal. iGesto. Porto: February 2-3.
- 2017d A survey of Current Reproducibility Practices in Linguistics Publications. Linguistics Society of America Symposium & Panel Discussion: Data Citation and Attribution for Reproducible Research in Linguistics. Austin, Texas: January 5. With Barbara Kelly, Andrea L. Berez-Kroeker & Tyler Heston.
- 2016a Reported Speech Evidentiality in Tibeto-Burman Languages. Workshop on typological profiles of language families of South Asia. Uppsala: September 15-16.
- 2016b The ‘General Fact’ copula in Yolmo and the influence of Tamang. 2016 Annual Meeting of the Linguistics Association of Great Britain (LAGB). University of York: September 6-9. With T. Owen-Smith.
- 2016c The interrogative palms-rotated gesture in Kagate, a Tibeto-Burman language of Nepal. International Society for Gesture Studies (ISGS) annual conference 2016. Paris: July 18-22.
- 2016d Tone and Intonation in three Tibeto-Burman languages. Workshops on Tone and Intonation 3. IIT Guwahati: January 7-8. With A. Teo and M. Baese-Berk.
- 2015a Putting practice into words: Fieldwork methodology in grammatical descriptions. 4th International Conference on Language Documentation and Conservation. Hawaii: February 26-March 1. With Andrea Berez, Barbara F. Kelly & Tyler Heston. [GoogleDoc slides]
- 2015b Bilingual Education in Australian Aboriginal Communities: The forty years of the Yirrkala step model. 4th International Conference on Language Documentation and Conservation. Hawaii: Feb 26-March 1. With Gemma Morales & Gillian Wigglesworths.
- 2015c Divide and Survive: The construction of Syuba Identity and Language Maintenance in Nepal. 5th Cambridge Conference on Endangered Languages. Cambridge: July 31. [GoogleDocs slides]
- 2015d Tone and intonation: A case study in two Tibetic languages. The 18th International Conference on Phonetic Sciences. Glasgow: Aug 10-14. With A. Teo and M. Baese-Berk.
- 2014a Egophoricity in Bodish Languages. 24th Meeting of the South East Asian Linguistics Society. Yangon: May 27-31, 2014.
- 2014b Collecting bilingual audio in remote indigenous villages (poster). 25th International Conference on Computational Linguistics. Dublin, Ireland: August 23-29, 2014 With Steven Bird, Isaac McAlister & Katie Gelbart.
- 2014c Yolmo opacity of mind in grammar. Hyolmo workshop, Cluster of Excellence Asia And Europe in a Global Context, Karl Jaspers Centre for Advanced Transcultural Studies, University of Heidelberg, Germany. November 14-15, 2014.
- 2013a Talking about community. 3rd International Conference on Language Documentation and Conservation. Hawaii: Feb 28-March 3, 2013. With Barbara F. Kelly.
- 2013b Beyond conjunct/disjunct in Tibeto-Burman languages. Himalayan Languages Symposium 19. Canberra: September 6-7, 2013.
- 2013c Documenting questions and their answers. Australian Linguistics Society annual conference. Melbourne: October 1-4, 2013.
- 2013d Two similar languages, two different dictionaries: A discussion of the Lamjung Yolmo and Kagate dictionary projects. Australex 2013. Adelaide: July 25-28, 2013.
- 2012a A preliminary analysis of tone in Lamjung Yolmo. The 18th Himalayan Languages Symposium. Varanasi, 10-12 September, 2012. With Amos Teo.
- 2012b The conjunct/disjunct system in two languages of Nepal: Lamjung Yolmo and Sherpa. NEILS7, the annual conference of the North East India Linguistics Society. Guwahati: 2-4 February, 2012. With Barbara F. Kelly.
- 2012c Making choices in context: Beyond hierarchies of evidentiality. Australian Linguistics Society annual conference. Perth: December 5-7, 2012.
- 2011a Don’t forget the kids! Recording children’s talk in language documentation (Poster). 2nd International Conference on Language Documentation and Conservation. Hawaii: 11-13 February, 2011. With Barbara F. Kelly.
- 2011b What we know people know about gesture. ALS 2011, the annual conference of the Australian Linguistic Society. ANU, Canberra: December 2-4, 2011. With Barbara F. Kelly.
- 2011c I can haz language play: The construction of language and identity in LOLspeak. Australian Linguistics Society (ALS) annual conference. ANU, Canberra: December 2-4, 2011. With Jill M. Vaughan. [video]
- 2009a An initial report into fieldwork on Kagate, a Tibeto-Burman language of Nepal. NLS 2009, the annual conference of the Nepal Linguistic Society. Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu: November 26-27, 2009.
- 2009b Gesture categorisation: understanding speaker perception. ALS 2009, the annual conference of the Australian Linguistic Society. LaTrobe University, Melbourne: July 9-11, 2009. With Barbara F. Kelly and Annie Unger.
- 2007 Gawne, L. English native speaker perceptions of gesture (Poster). HCSnet Summerfest. UNSW, Sydney: December 3-7.
Workshops – Theoretical linguistics
- 2018. Andreassen, H.N., A.L. Berez-Kroeker & Gawne. Data citation and metadata standards in linguistics. Working meeting at the Research Data Alliance (RDA) 11th Plenary Meeting. Berlin, Germany: March 21-23.
A part-day workshop to develop data citation standards for linguistics.
- 2017. Gawne, L., L. Berez-Kroeker & H.N. Andreassen. Data citation and attribution in Linguistics: Toward a common standard. Working meeting at the Research Data Alliance (RDA) 10th Plenary Meeting. Montréal, Canada: September 19-21.
A part-day workshop to develop and plan to disseminate a set of data citation principles for linguistics.
- 2014. Evidential systems in Tibetan languages. 24th Meeting of the South East Asian Linguistics Society. Yangon: May 27-31, 2014. With Nathan Hill.
- 2013. Person-sensitive grammar in Tibeto-Burman languages. Himalayan Languages Symposium 19. Canberra: September 6-7, 2013. With Mark Post.
Workshops – Research practice and training
- 2018 McCulloch, G. & Gawne. Linguistics in the Public Ear: Outreach via Podcasts and Radio. Linguistics Society of America Annual Conference. Salt Lake City, Utah: January 4-7.
Organised and moderated a discussion panel of six people who make linguistics podcasts.
- 2017 Gawne, L. Talking the Talkley: Popularising Linguistics. Australian Linguistics Society Annual Conference. Sydney University, Sydney: December 4-7, 2017.
Organised and moderated a panel of linguistics who are using different methods to popularise linguistics in Australia.
- 2016 Gawne, L. Putting Languages on the Map, a Practical Workshop. Language Documentation and Linguistic Theory 5. SOAS, London: December 2-4.
A three hour workshop on gathering mapping data and using CartoDB.
- 2016. Wikis and Wikipedia for Endangered Languages. CoLang 2016. Fairbanks, Alaska: June 17-July 1, 2016. With Gretchen McCulloch. [A series of 4 classes on improving Wikipedia content for and in Endangered languages, in both revitalization and documentation contexts]
- 2015. Plants Animals Words: Mapping a day in the square. Plants Animals Words (PAW). SOAS, London: December 14. Workshop organised by the PAW team.
A two hour workshop introducing Carto. Part of a one day workshop on collecting and mapping ethnobotanical data.
- 2012. Workshop on Language Documentation. NEILS7, the annual conference of the North East India Linguistics Society. Guwahati: January 31-February 3, 2012. With Stephen Morey. [A two day intensive introduction to language documentation, including elicitation, data management, metadata collection and archiving.