If you would like a copy of something that is not available here, please email me.
- 2017 Gawne, L. & N.W. Hill (Eds) Evidential Systems of Tibetan Languages. Mouton [blog summary]
- 2014 Gawne, L. & J. Vaughan (Eds) Proceedings of the 44th Australian Linguistic Society Conference. [Digital Repository link]
Refereed journal articles
- Gawne, L. (forthcoming). An introduction to the Syuba (Kagate) online collection. Language Documentation & Conservation 12.
- Gawne, L. (forthcoming). Contexts of Use of a Rotated Palms Gesture among Syuba (Kagate) Speakers in Nepal. Gesture.
- Berez-Kroeker, A.L., L. Gawne, S. Kung, B.F. Kelly, T. Heston, G. Holton, P. Pulsifer, D. Beaver, S. Chelliah, S. Dubinsky, R. Meier, N. Thieberger, K. Rice & A. Woodbury. 2018. Reproducible Research in linguistics: A position statement on data citation and attribution in our field. Linguistics 56(1): 1-17. [Open Access article online and PDF]
- 2017. Styles, S. & L. Gawne. When does maluma/takete fail? Two key failures and a meta-analysis suggest that phonology and phonotactics matter. i-Perception 8(4). 1-17. [Open Access online article] [blog summary]
- 2017 Gawne, L. Syuba (Kagate). Language Documentation and Description 13: 65-93. [Open Access PDF] [blog summary]
- 2017. Gawne, L., B.F. Kelly, A.L. Berez- Kroeker & T. Heston. Putting practice into words: The state of data and methods transparency in grammatical descriptions. Language Documentation & Conservation 11: 157-189. [Open Access PDF] [blog summary]
- 2016 Gawne, L. My name is Maya Lama/Syuba/Hyolmo: Negotiating identity in Hyolmo diaspora communities. European Bulletin of Himalayan Research 47: 40-68. [pre-publication PDF]
- 2016. Gawne, L. Questions and answers in Lamjung Yolmo Questions and answers in Lamjung Yolmo. Journal of Pragmatics 101: 31-53. [abstract] [blog summary]
- 2016 Gawne, L. & H. Ring. Map making for language documentation and description. Language Documentation & Conservation, 10: 188-242. [Open Access PDF] [blog summary]
- 2015 Gawne, L. The reported speech evidential particle in Lamjung Yolmo. Linguistics of the Tibeto-Burman Area, 38(2): 292-318. [pre-publication PDF]
- 2015 Loakes, D., T. Carr, L. Gawne & G. Wigglesworth. “Vowels in Wunambal, A language of the North West Kimberley region.” Australian Journal of Linguistics 35(3): 203-231. [abstract]
- 2015 Gawne, L. “Language documentation and division: Bridging the digital divide.” Digital Studies. [HTML] [blog summary]
- 2014 “Evidentiality in Lamjung Yolmo.” Journal of the South East Asian Linguistics Society, 7: 76-96. [PDF]
- 2014 Gawne, L. & B.F. Kelly. “Revisiting ‘significant action’ and gesture categorisation.” Australian Journal of Linguistics 34 (2): 216-233. [pre-publication PDF] [Blog summary]
- 2013 Gawne, L. “Report on the relationship between Yolmo and Kagate.” Himalayan Linguistic 12(2): 1-27. [PDF]
- 2012 San Roque, L., L. Gawne D. Hoenigman, J. C. Miller, S. Spronck, A. Rumsey, A. Carroll & N. Evans. “Getting the story straight: Language fieldwork using a narrative problem-solving task.” Language Documentation and Conservation 6: 135-174. [Open Access PDF]
- 2011 Gawne, L. “Reported speech in Lamjung Yolmo.” Nepalese Linguistics 26: 25-35. [PDF]
- 2010 Gawne, L. “Lamjung Yolmo: a dialect of Yolmo, also known as Helambu Sherpa.” Nepalese Linguistics 25: 34-41. [PDF]
Refereed book chapters
- 2017 Hill, N. & L. Gawne. The contribution of Tibetan languages to the study of evidentiality. In L. Gawne & N.W. Hill (Eds) Evidential Systems of Tibetan Languages (pp. 1-40). Berlin/Boston: De Gruyter.
- 2017 Gawne, L. Egophoric Evidentiality in Bodish languages. In L. Gawne & N.W. Hill (Eds) Evidential Systems of Tibetan Languages (pp. 61-94). Berlin/Boston: De Gruyter.
- 2016 Gawne, L., G. Wigglesworth, K. Moses & S. Dixon Making the ESL classroom visible: Indigenous Australian children’s early education. In V.A. Murphy & M. Evangelou (Eds) Early Childhood Education in English for Speakers of Other Languages (pp. 111-136). London: British Council. [PDF of whole book]
Refereed conference proceedings
- 2015 Teo, A., L. Gawne and M. Baese-Berk. Tone and intonation: A case study in two Tibetic languages. Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Phonetic Sciences. [PDF]
- 2014 Gawne, L. “Similar languages, different dictionaries: A discussion of the Lamjung Yolmo and Kagate dictionary projects.” In G. Zuckermann, J. Miller & J. Morley (Eds.), Endangered Words, Signs of Revival (pp. 1-11). Adelaide: AustraLex. [PDF]
- 2014 Bird, S., I. McAlister, K. Gelbart & L. Gawne. “Collecting bilingual audio in remote indigenous villages.” In The 25th International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING 2014) Dublin, Ireland: August 23-29, 2014. [PDF]
- 2012 Gawne, L., & J. Vaughan “I can haz language play: The construction of language and identity in LOLspeak.” In M. Ponsonnet, L. Dao & M. Bowler (Eds), Proceedings of the 42nd Australian Linguistic Society Conference – 2011 (pp. 97-122). Canberra: Australian National University. [PDF]
- 2010 Gawne, L., B.F. Kelly & A. Unger “Gesture categorisation and understanding speaker attention to gesture.” In Y. Treis & R. De Busser (Eds), Selected papers from the 2009 conference of the Australian Linguistic Society. Melbourne: La Trobe University. [PDF]
- 2013 Gawne, L. Sociolinguistic Fieldwork. [Review of the book Sociolinguistic Fieldwork by N. Schilling] Australian Journal of Linguistics 33(3): 393-396.
- 2012 Gawne, L. & A. Teo. Report on the 7th international conference of the North East Indian Linguistics Society Don Bosco institute, Guwahati, India 31 January – 4 February, 2012. Linguistics of the Tibeto-Burman Area 35(2): 139-141.
- 2012 Gawne, L. Review: Integrating gestures: The interdisciplinary nature of gesture. [Review of the book Integrating Gestures: The Interdisciplinary Nature of Gesture, by G. Stam & M. Ishino (eds)] The Linguist List. [HTML]
- 2013 Gawne, L. Lamjung Yolmo copulas in use: evidentiality, reported speech and questions. PhD thesis, Department of Linguistics and Applied Linguistics, School of Languages and Linguistics, The University of Melbourne. [PDF]
- 2017 Berez-Kroeker, A.L., H.N. Andreassen, L. Gawne, G. Holton, S.S. Kung, P. Pulsifer, L.B. Collister, The Data Citation and Attribution in Linguistics Group & the Linguistics Data Interest Group. The Austin Principles of Data Citation in Linguistics (Version 0.1). [online]
- 2017 Berez-Kroeker, A.L., L. Gawne, B.F. Kelly & T. Heston. A survey of current reproducibility practices in linguistics journals, 2003-2012. [online]
- 2017 Chouette Films & L. Gawne. Syuba: Earthquakes. [online]
- 2017 Chouette Films & L. Gawne. Syuba: Bees. [online]
- 2017 Ng Xiao Yan (illustrations), L. Gawne & J.M. Kelly (Eds). Stories and Songs from Kagate. [online]
- 2017 Jolene Tan (illustrations), L. Gawne & J.M. Kelly (Eds). Jackal and Pheasant. [online]
- 2015 Bi Jingying (illustrations), L. Gawne & J.M. Kelly (Eds). Yolmo: Art of basket weaving. [online]
- 2015 Xinling Wang (Shirley) & He Meijie (design), L. Gawne & J.M. Kelly (Eds). Lamjung Yolmo (online dictionary and game). [online portal]
- 2011 Gawne, L. Lamjung Yolmo – Nepali – English Dictionary. Melbourne, Custom Book Centre, The University of Melbourne. [PDF]